Saturday, March 20, 2010

Easter Egg Hunt


This morning was the town's Easter Egg Hunt at one of the parks. It wasn't exactly a hunt. They put out hay in big squares then each square had a dedicated age group. In the bottom center picture you can see Ethan facing me- I was on the outside of the square. He was supposed to go in and get the eggs, but he couldn't get in because I'd say at least half of the parents there went in and started grabbing up eggs and putting them in their kids baskets. I was pretty surprised. I mean they are plastic eggs, the kind you buy at the dollar store, filled with candy. If a kid finds a piece of paper they win one of those pre-made Easter baskets, again filled with candy. So why exactly were these parents so anxious to trample small children in the pursuit of many plastic eggs to throw in their child's basket? Do they really want their kids eating all that candy? Especially given that out of the five or so things Ethan picked up, I wouldn't let him eat any of them because despite being in the 1-3 crowd, the eggs were full of choking hazards. Taffy, gummy candy, licorice, smarties. It was bizzare really. Then we went to take a picture with the Easter bunny. Ethan got closer than most of the kids would, but frankly I've always thought giant Easter bunny costumes were a little creepy. At least with Santa you can see his face. So I thought he did pretty good. After that, it was full speed ahead to the playground. We rode the slide and played with some playgroup friends, then we went on the swing. While Ethan was swinging he demanded I get out my camera. This afternoon he got to play outside for a long time- we used sidewalk chalk, blew bubbles, raked, and saw a wooly caterpillar. He fell asleep pretty fast. It's nice to have fresh air and warmer weather again.
Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

Grandma and Pa said...

I like the Easter Bunny, but the "hunt" sounds a little off....Oh well, it was a new adventure. The park looks like lots of fun, I think Ethan likes the swing from the looks of his smile. hugs and kisses

Aunt Linda said...

It looks like you had fun at your Easter egg hunt Ethan. It is nice that you are finally able to spend some time outside in the fresh air and sunshine. Thank you once again for sharing all of your adventures.

Love you all
Aunt Linda and Uncle Louis

grandma Deb & Pop Pop said...

Oh boy, Ethan it looks like you had fun on the park rides and with the Big Bunny! You are getting so big and you're more handsome everyday! I want to hug, hug, hug you soooo much! You're our honey bunny!
Love you lots!

Babs said...

Very cute! And, yes, usually the candy in those eggs is crap and parents, especially of young, first-born children seem to be very pushy - so well done, dear, for not being one of them! :-)