Monday, July 28, 2025

North Berwick- The Shore and the Law

This one is a lot of photos, so I'll attempt to explain as we go. I was very proud of myself for working out how to do this without renting a car- the thought of doing that was somewhat terrifying. Sunday afternoon we visited the Edinburgh Waverly train station and purchased a group pass to ride ScotRail to North Berwick. We had a reservation for an afternoon boat tour from the Scottish Seabird Centre and decided to spend the day there. We wandered around the beach for a bit and took saw some seabirds.


 









This was a pool filled by the tide- despite being far cooler than home, there were people swimming! I would love to know what the water temperature was, it had to be colder than Maine.

This chapel was the site of witchcraft accusations in the 1500s. 

We had lunch near here at a fish & chip shop. It was better than the place we went in Dublin. After, we headed to the Law. This is a volcanic plug that was used as a military lookout during various times, and has a replica whalebone on top replacing an older actual whalebone. We walked by some interesting things along the way.




We were hoping to see the North Berwick ponies who live here, but we did not manage to locate them.



James was the only one of us intrepid enough to climb to the top. Ethan and I had all the wrong shoes.


This was our evidence that the ponies really live there.



We took a different route back to town, and I was SO excited to see my very first post box topper!

We had just enough time to check out this gelato place!



I thing the boat tour has to  be a different post- too many pictures!

No comments: