At dinner, Ethan declared that we had a "Mardi Gras feast!" We made red beans and rice from the recipe in the "My New Orleans" John Besh cookbook I got for Christmas, and it was soooooo good. I was a little worried because it was made without soaking the beans, and I was afraid they would not cook all the way. But it worked just fine, and it was yummy. Ethan and I made masks, yes those are recycled Kleenex boxes. We embellished with pipe cleaners, ribbons, sequins and beads. We listened to lots of New Orleans music, everything from Trombone Shorty to Louis Armstrong. For dessert we had King Cake which Ethan and I made. We had a little trouble with the purple sugar, it came out more blue but he didn't seem to mind. It tasted just fine. Only way the day could have been better is if we spent it in the Big Easy.
Tuesday, February 21, 2012
Goin to the Mardi Gras
At dinner, Ethan declared that we had a "Mardi Gras feast!" We made red beans and rice from the recipe in the "My New Orleans" John Besh cookbook I got for Christmas, and it was soooooo good. I was a little worried because it was made without soaking the beans, and I was afraid they would not cook all the way. But it worked just fine, and it was yummy. Ethan and I made masks, yes those are recycled Kleenex boxes. We embellished with pipe cleaners, ribbons, sequins and beads. We listened to lots of New Orleans music, everything from Trombone Shorty to Louis Armstrong. For dessert we had King Cake which Ethan and I made. We had a little trouble with the purple sugar, it came out more blue but he didn't seem to mind. It tasted just fine. Only way the day could have been better is if we spent it in the Big Easy.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I heard on the news that it was Mardi Gras and just knew you would celebrate. The masks are wonderful and fun and the king cake looks yummy!!!!! What flavor is it? Pa is still drooling over your Friendley's sundae Ethan.....
Dear Ethan, You always get to do the GREATEST things! You are soooo lucky to have a mommy and daddy that love to go places and do fun stuff!!
Your masks are gorgeous and the cake looks fit for a king - it is fit for YOU, King Ethan!
Love Grandma Deborah and Pop Pop
Post a Comment