Tuesday, March 8, 2011

3.5 & Fat Tuesday


In case you did not know, we're halfway to another birthday.  Ethan's officially 3 1/2.  He did not quite understand when I told him that, he said "am I 4?"  I thought he would think it was fun but it may have been more confusing.  This morning we went to the store for a few more ingredients for our King cake, then we headed to the museum for the toddler program again.  This week we read about colors and learned about combining them.  Ethan had done that last week, but he didn't mind trying again.  He painted several "pictures."  He's not really into trying to actually make anything, or shapes or anything but he has fun with the abstract style.

After the museum, we came home to shape our King cake, then it was time for lunch and a nap.  Right after the nap we headed to the library where we met up with Benjamin and his mom for a playdate.  They didn't really play together, but that's ok. We also picked out a few more books, including one about carnival, and a Wallace and Grommet DVD.  When we got home, while I started the jambalaya Ethan watched "The Wrong Trousers."  Then we made glaze for our cake (turning our fingers green in the process) and decorated it. When that was all done, it was time to turn up the New Orleans music and dance around the kitchen to Jambalaya. Unfortunately when we went to eat it I discovered that the andouille was much spicier than anticipated, and coupled with the cayenne in the recipe, I could barely eat it let alone Ethan.  He ended up with chicken noodle soup.  But we did declare the King cake a success before heading off for bath time and bed. You can see in the middle bottom picture that Ethan figured out that the glaze runs off into the middle.

2 comments:

Grandma and Pa said...

What a fun day! Busy for sure. Your king cake looks yummy. Be sure to eat a piece for Grandma!!! love you...

Aunt LInda said...

Your king cake looks great Ethan. Good job. Hope you had fun celebrating Fat Tuesday. You get more creative every day.

love to all
Aunt Linda and Uncle Louis