Friday, August 1, 2014
Trombone Shorty!!
When we learned that Trombone Shorty was playing at The Gathering of the Vibes, and that his set was before Ethan's bedtime, we knew that we had to go. So we didn't tell him anything fearing it could turn out to be a rainy mudpit or a thunderstorm and we would have to back out.
The week of the concert, Ethan and I had to go to the cleaners. They had advertising postcards for the festival on the counter. He saw them and picked one up. He lost interest before he got to Trombone Shorty's name. I took the postcard and stashed it in my car. James got a ride to work, so I told Ethan we had a special surprise and we were going to go have lunch with James. (We might have stopped for a snack on the way). We picked him up at the office, and then I handed Ethan the postcard and told him to really read it, which he did. He pretended to pass out. He was pretty excited.
We got to the festival in time for the artist before, and when they finished playing the stage area totally cleared out- we grabbed a spot right up front and waited. We got to listen to the Funky Dogz Brass Band while we were waiting. Ethan proclaimed loudly that he was Trombone Shorty's biggest fan, and so several people offered to move so we could get up closer to the stage- yep, lots of nice people at the hippie fest :). I think the noise and the crowd intimidated him a bit, and I pretty much held him up through the entire set. Can you see Shorty pointing right at him? Well, it might have been the kid next to us but we'll take it. The funny part was on Sunday he played Lalapalooza, which was live streamed. We watched it on the TV so I could hear Ethan's play-by-play. I asked him if he took trombone lessons if he would learn to play that well. "Oh, I'll be better" he says, like it's nothing.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




1 comment:
Great bus!!!!! glad you go to go.........
Post a Comment