Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Science Wednesdays

Ethan and I decided to opt out of the after school enrichment program this spring. He seemed not to love it last time, he was really tired when I picked him up. Not to mention that it never let out on time and it was basically a logistical nightmare. Instead, we decided to make Wednesday our day for science experiments. I had a few in mind, and Ethan wasn't so thrilled with them. So while he did his homework, I started working on dinner and got the pizza dough ingredients in the mixer. He said, "Mom, that can be our science experiment." So that made me remember one I had seen involving yeast and a balloon. I looked up instructions, and just as soon as our dough was in a bowl ready to rise, we set about seeing if the gas that yeast produce could blow up a balloon. Ethan got a journal like Sid the Science Kid to make his observations. As you can see, our experiment was quite successful. As our balloon got bigger, so did our pizza dough. Once the yeast ate all the sugar, the bubbles began popping and the yeast deflated. Now to figure out one for next week!

1 comment:

Aunt Linda said...

See you have your own after school program. Great job you two.

love Aunt Linda and Uncle Louis